Yu-Kai Lai (賴郁凱)
National Taiwan University (NTU)
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering
National Cheng Kung University (NCKU)
Undergraduate studies in Electrical Engineering
National Taiwan University (NTU)
Advisor: Prof. Shih-Kang Fan, Department of Mechanical Engineering
• Develop commercial application based on EWOD (Electrowetting On Dielectrics) and LDEP (
• Research on ferrofluid performance on EWOD chip.
• Survey different dielectric layers and decided the best form, including parylene CVD on PCB.
• Develop electro-fragrance equipment.
• Design printing circuit board, functional electrodes, and specific definition of the working area.
• Manipulate droplet on PCB with the technique of EWOD
Project 1: Micro Electro Mechanical System (MEMS) research with Microfluidic
Advisor: Professor Shih-Kang Fan, Department of Mechanical Engineering
• Researched EWOD, created novel devices, automatic platform for moving and mixing droplets.
• Simplified DMF device, improved fabricating process, and optimised the quality with material research.
• Researched interdisciplinary combination of MEMS and bio-industry, implemented a whole package of versatile bio-reacting observation and detection within LOC.
Project 2: Redesign and Development of Magnetorheological Fluid Dampers
Advisor: Prof. Kuang-Yuh Huang, Department of Mechanical Engineering
• Redesigned and developed magnetorheological fluid dampers.
• Simulated and analysed magnitude field inside the damper by software.
• Studied the paper and the principle.
Project3: Design and Assess a Hybrid Power Vehicle
Advisor: Prof. Jung-Ho Cheng, Department of Mechanical Engineering
• Disassembled an automobile and built 3D model.
• Analysed and simulated the different design in the arrangement of engine and motor.
• Surveyed different designs of commercial hybrid power vehicle and assessed.
• Yu-Kai Lai, Pin-Chia Chen, Ming-Yu Lin, and Shih-Kang Fan*. (2015). Ferrofluid Droplet Manipulations on an Electro-Microfluidic Device. The 13th International Conference on Automation Technology. Taipei, Taiwan.
• Yu-Kai Lai, Yuan-Sheng Lee, and Shih-Kang Fan*. (2015). PCB-Based Digital Microfluidics for Conductive and Dielectric Droplet Manipulations, The 19th Nano Engineering and Microsystem Technology Conference. Taipei, Taiwan.
• Yuan-Sheng Lee,Yu-Kai Lai, and Shih-Kang Fan*. (2015). IMPLEMENTING LIQUID MANIPULATIONS by ELECTROWETTING and DIELECTROPHORESIS with PCB and DIELECTRIC SHEETS, The 5th International Conference of Optofluidics, Taipei, Taiwan.
• Yo-Shin Lee, Yuan-Sheng Lee, Yu-Kai Lai, and Shih-Kang Fan*. (2015). General Digital Microfluidics on a PCB for Conductive and Dielectric Droplet Manipulations by Electrowetting and Dielectrophoresis. The 2015 award of Student Engineering Papers Competition of the Chinese Institute of Engineers, Taipei, Taiwan.
International Contest of Applications in Nano-Micro technology (iCAN 15’)
• Held by Global Chinese Micro-nano Molecular System Society, international competition
for university students, more than 60 participants and 16 teams in the final.
NTU seed Entrepreneurship Competition.
The best Award
• Held by NTU, a fund for start-up, more than 150 participants and 30 teams in the final.
Student Engineering Papers Competition of CIE
• Held by CIE (Chinese Institute of Engineers), national competition for all engineering
students, 84 participants and 34 teams in the final.
NI myRIO Mechatronics Student Design Contest 2015
• Held by National Instruments, national competition for all universities, 12 institutions and 60 participants in the final.
• Language : Mandarin (Native Fluency), English (Excellent Fluency), German (Beginner)
• Computer: Altium Designer, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, LabVIEW
• Laboratory Instruments: OpticalMicroscope,spin coater, contact aligner, contact angle measurement device, function generator, high-speed camera, parylene deposit system, reactive-ion etching machine, oscilloscope